Re: Mushroom pipes

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Fri, 06 Feb 1998 15:27:54 -0800

jprintz wrote:

> Haven't had a problem with mushroom pipes in ceramics, but I am learning to
> recognize other paraphernalia (sp). <snip>
> Does anyone else have this problem? How do you solve it? How necessary is
> administrative support?

During a previous discussion here, I mentioned how the kiln gods often manage to plug
suspect items. An assignment in my 3D class is to create an effigy vessel--a product
rife with paraphenalia possibilities. You just have to watch for orifices which create
a flow of air (or smoke) through the object. The kiln gods just "do it", with no
apologies or explanations. They used to smash them, but some were so beautifully
crafted it seemed a shame. If the item is really obvious, I'll report it, but if it's
kind of iffy, no.

While we're on this line, here are a few other things from the art room that students
can use for making paraphenalia: metal tubes from markers; the metal paint cups that
come with airbrush sets; airbrush bottles with metal lids and metal pipes extending
into the bottle; Klay Guns and the screen inserts; just yesterday a student was
studying a plain ol' metal funnel and said, "I could make a bowl out of this." After
two rolls of tracing paper were stolen, I asked a savvy student if it were suitable for
rolling joints; he thought so, and said they would have to use honey as a glue. Talk
about a BIG BAMBU!

Okay guys, what have _your_ geniuses used?

Maggie**remove x in address to reply