Re: Software

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
JamesNairne (james.n-way.co.uk)
Fri, 06 Feb 1998 00:40:09 +0000

DeliaS (Sherry D'Elia) wrote:
> Subject: Software????
>
> Hi all...I'm a new member, 1st time writer. I am in the process of
> choosing drawing and photo software for a new art/tech Mac lab where I will
> be teaching computer graphics to high school students.
> A few ?'s Adobe Illustrator vs Fractal Painter....which is better?
> Is there another software anyone has used that is cheaper but close or
> comparable in quality and options? We are pushing for 32 Mgs
> ( opmtimistic ) but is 16 mg power Macs reasonable for this software?
>
> Has anyone found anything better (or comparable) to Photoshop?
>
> Any info on 3D software, such as Bryce 3D?
>
> It's easy enough to find software...but not so easy to try them out for the
> best buy...so any imput is helpful. It's nice to know we're not alone
> out here.

Try Color-it.. It is cheap but really very powerful. Takes most
photoshop plug-ins and as a paint program is a lot easier to learn than
Painter. (NB Painter and Ilustrtor ae VERY different programs... one is
Vector drawing the other Pixel painting (with some vector))
Try http://www.Microfrontier.com for a downloadable version

Make sure in your MAc lab that you have enough Video RAM for at least
24bit color display.

--
James Nairne

[james.n-way.co.uk] [http://schools.sys.uea.ac.uk/deepspace/jn/] [http://schools.sys.uea.ac.uk/schoolnet/bradfield/bradfld.htm]