Re: Dream Classroom Ideas?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Wed, 04 Feb 1998 12:01:32 -0800

Eric Utech wrote:

> My principal has asked for ideas for cabinets and other facilities to be
> included in our school's renovation and expansion. Do any of you have
> specific aspects to your art rooms that work particularly well? What is
> something that you would change? What is the worst thing that they could
> install, that you would absolutely hate?

You can never have too many locking cabinets; add one with deep shelves to accomodate
large papers. I really love the small lockers in my room; there are 32, so the students
usually have to double or triple up to stash their works-in-progress and supplies.
There was not a complete set of keys when I inherited the room, and some of the keys
have broken off in the locks (necessitating removal of the locks), so we can't lock them
all anymore. Padlocks would've been a better system (_you_ keep the keys).

The room is L-shaped, with large work tables in the main section and the clay area in
the back. This keeps clay dust to a minimum.

Try to get two utility sinks at different parts of the room.

The thing I hate the most is a wall hugging, space-saving, 3-wheel electric potter's
wheel. It seemed like a good idea when I first saw it, but it's difficult to use and
physically handicapped students can't use it at all. Spring for the sit-down kind.

Maggie**remove x in address to reply