Re: supplies

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Wed, 04 Feb 1998 08:02:37 -0800

Teresa Tipton wrote:
> One system I use when supplies are going is to give every student a
> number. I then number all my supplies - boxes of oil pastels;
> scissors, pencils, etc. with a permanent marker. The students take
> their number when supplies are passed out and are responsible for
> returning it at the end of class. You count supplies at the end of
> class and if something's missing, you know who was responsible for
> it. if it's "gone missing" as they say here, and the student is
> responsible, I ask them to replace it. After the first time this
> happened and the student was asked to replace it in front of her
> peers, it hasn't happened again.

One problem I've had with a similar system is when a student rips off
another student's supplies; you can hardly hold the borrower responsible.
When this happens, I announce that _everyone_ has to help "look for" the
missing item before I'll dismiss class (very effective before lunch and
at the end of the day). Most of the time, the item will miraculously
turn up.

Yes, in a way, this is punishing the whole class, but it does send a
message.

Maggie**remove x in address to reply