Re: substitute teaching

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Maggie White (mwhite)
Tue, 03 Feb 1998 18:14:22 -0800

Becky Smith wrote:

> Re:Sub teaching art. Having subbed in art K-12 in a large district,
> for quite some time, I take exception to the complaint about subs not
> following the lesson plans. Survival caused me to bring my own and
> sue them freely when
> A. the plans left were incoherent
> B. The plans left for me did not include the materials needed to
> execute them, ie. Video tapes, paints, reproductions, examples, that
> were specifically called for in the plans
> C. The lesson plan provided would last only about 10 minutes leaving
> me with 50 minutes of time to kill with Bored students.
> D. The lesson left was so boring that the regular teacher would have
> never used it.
> E. Lesson books, seating charts, grade books, supplies were no where
> to be found, even after a lengthy search with the help of the
> building principal.
>
> Lighten up on your subs. Subbing for art, along with P.E. and music
> are the least popular assignments available.

I have no doubt this has happened many times over to every sub (including when I've
subbed during my planning period). However, I still think the sub should follow the
plan as closely as possible, and, if there is a major problem--like no supplies--LET THE
TEACHER AND PRINCIPAL KNOW. I had a sub once who would leave a copy of a form she got
from another district which detailed how the day went, whether the plans were
understandable, if supplies were available, etc. This was very useful info; I encourage
all my subs to let me know any problems.

When I get a sub new to me, and whom I suspect has no art background, I leave much
simpler plans than usual.

Maggie**remove x in address to reply