Re: ANAMORPHIC ART

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
John Bibby, QED of York, York, England (qed)
Sun, 1 Feb 1998 14:31:17 +0000

On 17 Jan 98 at 13:30, BullD135 wrote:

> CAN YOU GIVE ME ANY INFO ON ANAMORPHIC ART

We have something in our 1998 "Alice in Escherland" yearbook.
This centenary fantasy takes Lewis Carroll's (d. 1898) Alice who falls
down the rabbit-hole and finds herself in a land of mysterious creations
inspired by MC Escher (b.1898).

The section on Anamorphic art takes an Escher-like "Unicorns"
tesselation and transforms it anamorphically. There is a full
explanation of the genre toegther with some examples from afverts,
games etc.

This section and several of the others were written by John Sharp,
who must be one of the world experts on anamorphic art (incl.
Holbein's "Ambassadors" which has been so much written about
recently). John is also organising the conference on Decorative Art
in Oxford in ?? May.

The whole book includes literally thousands of graphics - other art
themes include "Flatland" projections, tangrams, golden rectangles
and Escherian triangles, morphig and computer art, Escher's
"impossible objects", a full-colour poster on sliceform surface
posters, tessellations, knots and mathematics, Islamic art, Mobius
bands etc etc etc.

How can you get one?

Send a ten-dollar bill to the address below, or contact QEDBooks1

We'd also like some US distributors for the above - please let me
know if you know anyone suitable!

Thanks
JOHN BIBBY

The address to order the above (10 dollars inc. postage) is
Sue Tate
QED Books
Room 1, Stonehills House
Welwyn AL8 6NH, England