Re: Ireland/Germany..Help!

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Scurfield (scurfield)
Thu, 27 Feb 1997 21:00:39 -0600

Respond to this message.

Artist4U wrote:

> We are trying to create a cultural art class, in which countries are studied
> for their art, music, and culture, so that students may earn their Fine Art
> credit. These are students who have been discouraged in their art and do not
> feel that they have the ability to make art.
> SO, we want to bring them in the backdoor and surprise them with just how
> talented they really are. To do this, we have the six weeks blocked into
> individual countries with history trunks created for each country. The
> students will eat the food, listen to the music and create the art that is
> notable for the country itself. We are having trouble with Ireland/Scotland
> and Germany/Russia. Will you please share any information you might have on
> any of these places.
>
> Thank you!
> artist4U

Wow, let's see,
Ireland: Book of Kells (illuminated manuscripts), Celtic Cross,
"wee folk", leprechauns, St. Patrick, Irish soda bread
Scotland: tartans, William Wallace (Braveheart), invention of
game of golf, bagpipes, coats of arms, shortbread, "A Scottish
Christmas" with Bonnie Rideout, Maggie Sansone, and Al Petteway (not all
the music is "Christmas"),
Germany: Albrecht Durer, The Black Forest, Neuschwanstein (sp?)
Castle in Bavaria, there is a lot of art at Dachau to commemorate the
survivors of the concentration camps, the Criminal Museum in Rotenberg
ober der Tauber has some great Medieval masks that people wore as
punishment,the Bauhaus, German Expressionism, Brahms, Bach, Beethoven,
Wagner, Handel, lederhosen
Russia: pysanka (actually Ukrainian--Easter eggs), Faberge
eggs, religious icons, pierogies (I think this is kind of a potato
dumpling),Tchaikovsky, Stravinsky, Rachmaninoff, Prokofiev, St. Basil's
Church, Russian Avant Guard, Wassily Kandinsky, Kasimir Malevich

And many more.....Sounds like an interesting class. I'm looking forward
to seeing the list this group dreams up.--Marcia Scurfield, Derby, KS

Respond to this message.