Re: Painterly 4 year olds

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Teresa Tipton (ttipton.wa.us)
Thu, 27 Feb 1997 08:00:12 -0800 (PST)

Respond to this message.

Look at a book called "Doing Art Together" from I believe the Metropolitan
Museum of Art - I can look it up for you if you
can't find it by the title. The author takes preschoolers through painting
activities and directs you to help them explore. It's very insightful.

One of the things I do is to give them oil pastels to use first. I ask
them to draw shapes and use a different color in each area. Then they put
a watercolor wash over it. I give them mixing trays so they can create new
colors in the trays and use those colors over the oil pastel as a resist.
This prevents mud from mixing directly on the paper. They love using the
mixing trays and excitedly report the colors they're making. I reinforce
it by asking if they remember how they made the color - what colors did
they use and it helps lead into rudimentary color mixing demos.

Teresa Tipton

On Wed, 26 Feb 1997, Melissa Enderle wrote:

> I have been doing some painting projects with 4 year old students. I
> believe in letting these youngsters explore and manipulate materials, but
> have found that their kinesthetic tendencies have resulted in some
> interesting colors. They start off with some great color mixing and
> painting, but then begin to obliterate it with more colors, proceeding in
> mixing everything together. Today I gave them three colors all from the
> same color family. While limited, it seemed to work.
> How can I get the students (I have them for 50 minutes) to refrain from
> turning their painted areas to mud? Or should I keep my hands off, since
> they don't seem to mind?
>
> Melissa Enderle
> Melissaenderle

Respond to this message.