Re:"SPECIAL"

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mark Alexander (Alexander)mamjam)
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 11:54:07 -0500

Respond to this message.

I, too, have noticed many teachers leave their students with me with A
"have fun in art" comment. While having fun isn't a problem, it is not what
art is for. I combat this attitude in many ways.

Every class begins only when everyone is in their seats, desks cleared, and
each student is showing me they are ready to listen and work. Just like in
math or science class.

I always display copious amounts of art work around the school, with neat
signs explaining the content of the lesson they come from. When ever
possible, I also include how this lesson is intended to improve the
student's ability to function in their world.

I emphasize that art is a CLASS, and not just a glorified recess so the
teacher can have a plan period. I never refer to art class as a SPECIAL
(read: FRILL), although I confess I've had trouble finding a better word.
Any suggestions?

Thank you Lorena in Tucson, for starting this line.

Mark Alexander
Lee H. Kellogg School
Falls Village, CT 06031

At 8:54 PM 2/23/97, Nalin wrote:
>As a elementary teacher, I cringe when the classroom teacher drops off the
>class and says as she leaves, "Now have fun today". I teams with these
>teachers, I have put together workshops on what is involved in the art
>curriculum, but it is hard to break old ways of thinking.
>
>I want to compile the comments from the seven or so people who have replied
>to my question and post their help ideas to the list.
>
>Thanks for your comments, I think this will make an interesting thread.
>
>Lorena in Tucson

Respond to this message.