Re:"I don't have art talent"

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mark Alexander (Alexander)mamjam)
Fri, 21 Feb 1997 07:15:31 -0500

Respond to this message.

Dear Lorena and ArtsEdNet,

Comments such as "I am not creative" "I have no artistic ability" or other
self depricating comments are much too often heard. This seems to be a
pervasive attitude, that can spread like the flu. It saddens me to find
people who claim to "have absolutly no talent" and who "can't draw a
straight line," especially amongst the staff in the school where I teach. I
frequently comment on it in the teacher's room, and have asked them to NOT
betray these feelings to their studnts. It is my belief that the teachers
these teachers had (art or otherwise) in elementary and high school did not
provide opportunities to for take risks and simply to enjoy the journey of
drawing and art making. I would like to adjust this attitude for the future
generations, starting in my classroom. Are there any ArtsEdNetters who have
ideas and suggestions on how to do this? Does anyone have suggestions for
what to say to adults who have this attitude problem? Please post to the
group. Thanks Lorena, for bringing this important issue up. I am going to
change the subject line to read: "I don't have art talent"

"If you think you can, you can...if you think you can't, then you can't."

Mark Alexander
Lee H. Kellogg School
Falls Village, CT 06031

Respond to this message.