RE: Arts in Education Resource

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Geri Iannaconi (Moms_taxi)
Sun, 23 Feb 97 23:58:15 UT

Respond to this message.

To Ken Rohrer and all:

The PTA is very involved in Arts Advocacy from National PTA down to the local
level in your schools. As the New Jersey Art in Education Chairman it is my
job to help local PTAs understand the importance the arts play in the
education of all students and assist them in becoming better informed to work
in their community to promote the arts.
I've been working on the Kennedy Center Alliance for Arts Education Network's
(KCAL) Project "Creative Ticket for Student Success". The National PTA has
joined with the Kennedy Center to Promote this initiative. All State Arts in
Education Chairman were asked to work with their Alliance for Arts Education
to promote this project in their State. In New Jersey we have already had two
"Conversations for Student Success" and another one is scheduled for Wednesday
Evening, March 5, 1997, 7:30pm to 9:30pm at Bergen Community College, Paramus,
New Jersey. You're all invited to attend this grassroots discussion of the
state of the arts in our schools. Contact me if your from the area and need
directions or contact your State PTA or Alliance for Arts Education for
information on a Conversation near you. We also have an art project called
Reflections, every student in a PTA schools is invited to participate in this
project. The students work on a theme and produce Visual art, Photography,
Music and Literature. Their work goes through levels of competition from
local unit to National PTA. Local Art teachers in PTA Schools should ask
their PTA Presidents for the details if they don't already participate.
Information is also on our Web Pages www.pta.org.
I monitor this page and your information is great, it helps understand the
arts from the teachers point of view and also learn new projects to use with
parents to teach the importance the arts have on all areas of curriculum.
I just gave the Arts in Education chairman in my state the incredible Art
Department as a great site.
As for "I don't have talent" As a parent this bothers me that any one who
would want to teach children would have this attitude. This is just what we
don't want them to say or think. I tell everyone in my arts advocacy work
shop that everyone is an artist, the carpet layer, the plumber, the scientist,
etc. They all need to use art and design to be successful at their job. My
daughter passed geometry because to her it was art, all those shapes and
angles. She didn't think about the numbers. She now an Educational Toy
Design major at Hampshire College, Amherst, MA.

Geri Iannaconi
NJ PTA
Arts in Education Chairman
moms_taxi