Re:"I don't have art talent"

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mark Alexander (Alexander)mamjam)
Sat, 22 Feb 1997 19:10:08 -0500

Respond to this message.

I made some little signs, with the word CAN'T covered by a red circle and
red diagonal, like the international DON"T sign. They're posted on both
sides of my art cart so everyone sees them. Part of the first day was the
introduction of the sign, and that an "I'LL TRY" attitude is essential for
art success.

Mostly the signs prevent the utterance of the word "CAN'T," but a couple of
students still go to great lengths to circumvent the word with "I CAN NOT."
I prefer "I COULD USE MORE PRACTICE" or "I NEED SOME HELP" or "I'M BETTER
AT THAT THAN THIS."

I'll have to try the French bit. Good idea.

Mark

At 4:26 PM 2/22/97, Ken Rohrer wrote:
>I used to say to my students that the word "can't" is French and we only
>learn art in English in an American class. After announcing that this word
>was French and not to be spoken, if someone said, "I can't draw", I would
>then begin jabbering in French. They would then laugh. It cut down on the
>"I can't draw"s.
>
>I have a page devoted to this problem located at:
>
>http://www.artswire.org/kenroar/peeves/petpeeves.html
>

> \ *** /---------------/---------------------/--------
> \ * * / Ken Rohrer / kenroar / o |
> * {O} {O} * oo\ o/ |
>* * The Incredible Art Department \ |/ |
>* _ _ * http://www.artswire.org/kenroar/ |
> * \_________/ * http://artnet.nde.state.ne.us/iad/ |
> / *** \

Respond to this message.