Re:"I don't have art talent"

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Becky Alexander (Bekalex)
Sat, 22 Feb 1997 03:43:45 -0800

Respond to this message.

Oh, Rosa!!

Thank you!!! This might have worked with me!! I know that I try to do
this with my students and I see the results when I give believable, honest
praise. It's very easy to do. When I think something positive about their
work I say it!! (I monitor carefully all "criticism" and use it to teach
from.)

I had one student this year (age 4) who told me "I can't" no matter what I
asked him to do. When he finally wrote his name he was so proud! I was
proud with him! Another student brought me a fairly difficult project one
time, the pride that he'd done it in his eyes. I had no response. I just
looked at him. Looked at it and hugged him. One of my personal "precious
moments." He came to me later and hugged my knees. (!)

Your response, Rosa, is exactly why I subscribe to this list! Thanks again!!

Becky

>To Mark and all the others who have been discussing students who feel they
>are not creative or don=B4t have art talent! I feel that I come across this
>problem every so often also. Both from my students at the University
>(teachers department) and have even heard from a five year old; " I cannot
>draw a tree, or a sun or anything else for that matter". I am a firm
>believer of that the best way to aproach this is with "the sword of
>praise", I can honestly say that I have the best success(probably wrong
>spelling) with these student by praising them enough. Of course I so my
>teaching as well, I use the DBAE methods in my teaching even at University.
>And I do believe in the importance of teaching the
>elements of art. But what I feel is the single most important thing to
>battle this is;to praise students. It has of course to be believable, but
>it is so easy. Once you have made a student feel he can do something well,
>something special, something better than before( and this is easy) then
>each time you do this the student grows and to watch this is of course the
>biggest delight to any teacher. I feel that if I do this it really works
>99% of the time. I have had students say they can do nothing of what I
>expect them to and then after finding things to praise them for they
>actually walk out with happiness and feel more competent than when they
>came and most important of all feel ready to come back. Maybe this sounds
>too simple to some of you, but try it. You cannot believe the impact praise
>at the right time of the right thing can do. So remember that to build up
>the confidence , and then with it comes the joy to create, you must make
>your students feel special, that they can do something that is new, better
>or special compared to their previous activities. Hope this makes sense to
>you. Regards from Iceland, Rosa
>
>>Please accept my apologies if this is a repeated post. I assume it got los=
>>out there somewhere. I sent it out to the list on Friday morning, but 24
>>hours later I still haven't seen it come in on the list. In any event, I'd
>>like to pay my two cents now.
>>
>>Mark
>>
>>>Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 07:15:35 -0500
>>>To:nalin (Nalin), artsednet
>>>From:(Mark Alexander) mamjam
>>>Subject:Re:"I don't have art talent"
>>>
>>>Dear Lorena and ArtsEdNet,
>>>
>>>Comments such as "I am not creative" "I have no artistic ability" or othe=
>>>self depricating comments are much too often heard. This seems to be a
>>>pervasive attitude, that can spread like the flu. It saddens me to find
>>>people who claim to "have absolutly no talent" and who "can't draw a
>>>straight line," especially amongst the staff in the school where I teach.
>>>I frequently comment on it in the teacher's room, and have asked them to
>>>NOT betray these feelings to their studnts. It is my belief that the
>>>teachers these teachers had (art or otherwise) in elementary and high
> [...]

Respond to this message.

  • Reply: Sidnie Miller: "Re:"I don't have art talent""