Re:"I don't have art talent"

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Rosa Juliusdottir (rojul)
Sat, 22 Feb 1997 17:52:29 GMT

Respond to this message.

To Mark and all the others who have been discussing students who feel they
are not creative or donīt have art talent! I feel that I come across this
problem every so often also. Both from my students at the University
(teachers department) and have even heard from a five year old; " I cannot
draw a tree, or a sun or anything else for that matter". I am a firm
believer of that the best way to aproach this is with "the sword of
praise", I can honestly say that I have the best success(probably wrong
spelling) with these student by praising them enough. Of course I so my
teaching as well, I use the DBAE methods in my teaching even at University.
And I do believe in the importance of teaching the
elements of art. But what I feel is the single most important thing to
battle this is;to praise students. It has of course to be believable, but
it is so easy. Once you have made a student feel he can do something well,
something special, something better than before( and this is easy) then
each time you do this the student grows and to watch this is of course the
biggest delight to any teacher. I feel that if I do this it really works
99% of the time. I have had students say they can do nothing of what I
expect them to and then after finding things to praise them for they
actually walk out with happiness and feel more competent than when they
came and most important of all feel ready to come back. Maybe this sounds
too simple to some of you, but try it. You cannot believe the impact praise
at the right time of the right thing can do. So remember that to build up
the confidence , and then with it comes the joy to create, you must make
your students feel special, that they can do something that is new, better
or special compared to their previous activities. Hope this makes sense to
you. Regards from Iceland, Rosa

Respond to this message.