Re: Disney, et al...

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Scurfield (scurfield)
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 20:03:10 -0600

Respond to this message.

tscanlin.edu wrote:

> ArtsEdNet readers,
> Craig Roland posted the following (snip) in response to Bob Greaves
> earlier comment about the "Disney-ization" of children's literature:
>
> > This will probably stir up a can of worms but it is something which
> >has been concerning me for some time. With the internationalization
> >of everything comes the Disneyization of children's litereature
> >illustrations (and text). . .snip . . .There is the other point too that
> >the >Disney style , like so many introduced species, (ecologically
> >speaking) thrives >at the expense of the native variety! (Greaves quote)
>
> It's a sunny sunday morning here in Florida "land of Micky, Donald and
> Goofy" and I couldn't help from briefly commenting on Bob's message. I too
> find it troublesome that this "Disneyization" Bob speaks of is infiltrating
> other aspects of our culture...beyond children's literature. (Roland quote)
>
> I find this topic very intriguing. It brings to mind the impact of
> any popular media on the mind/imagination of not only the child but anyone
> in our culture. How many of your have had, at various times through the
> years, Charlie Browns and Snoopys, Garfields, X-men, Ninja Turtles, Power
> Rangers, etc., as main characters or only characters in drawings/paintings?
> Or have mothers tell you that their children drew "so well!" and then show
> your drawings of pop culture icons. I would like to read other's comments
> about the impact of popular culture on artistic statements, whether by
> children, young adults, or adults.
>
> Tommye Scanlin
> Professor of Art
> North Georgia College and State University
> Dahlonega, GA 30597

George Szekely (if I am reading him correctly) embraces these pop icons
as the children's culture and encourages his students to utilize these
images in their work. I found it easier to talk to kids about
Renaissance artists after their names became familiar through the Ninja
Turtles. Use what they know as a bridge to what you want them to
know--it will exercise both the teacher's and the student's creativity.

Marcia Scurfield, Derby, KS

Respond to this message.