Re: culture

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Terry Shipe (terrys)
Sun, 16 Feb 1997 13:59:23 -0800

Respond to this message.

Rosa Juliusdottir wrote:

> >Rosa,
> >I agree with Diane's comment on celebrating similarities instead of differences
> >too. Living in south Texas allows for us to celebrate a lot of ethnic
> >differences. I wish art teachers didn't make judgements on art in that degree
> >either but please know that is not the planet we live on. The cultural
> >differences and backgrounds must be approached with care in public schools
> >because a great many cultures have strong Christian backgrounds and we (the art
> >teachers) must tread lightly as not to offend Muslim, Indian, etc. That's
> >really all I wanted to say. These things are very important for students to
> >truly understand where the art comes from. We just have to be careful. At
> >least we do down here.
> >Kasi
> >
> I am not sure I quite understand you Kasi. I only said:<that I really hope no
> art teachers <make judgements about one work being better than another>.
> And I do indeed hope we all learn from this discussion to respect the
> cultures of other people (indiginous and non indiginous) and teach about
> their art and culture with respect and not ignoring the cultural context.>
> Therefor I donīt understand that if we do treat all cultures with the same
> respect why do we have to "tread lightly". And what is it that you just
> have to be careful about down there?
> Rosa
Rosa, you make a good point. Treading too lightly can be nonproductive.
I teach in a small south fl. town and if you are afraid to go against
the good 'old boy' (white ) mentality treadly lightly is what you do.
and that really burns me, I guess as an outsider it's easy for me to say
that. emily

Respond to this message.