Re: Pepsi Cola and multiculturalism

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Terry Barrett (barrett.8)
Sat, 15 Feb 1997 13:03:30 -0500

Respond to this message.

Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 13:01:30 -0500
To:Teresa Tipton <ttipton.wa.us>
From:barrett.8 (Terry Barrett)
Subject:Re: Pepsi Cola and multiculturalism

Teresa,

Your reply is very eloquent, poignant, thoughtful, and thought provoking.
Thank you.

I never meant to imply that we should not teach about another culture
because of disagreements over values. I want to learn about and teach
about Ghana and other cultures, including those of the Serbs and Moslems.
I think we should teach about the Coliseum as a piece of architecture and
also teach that it was used as an entertainment arena for murdering social
and political undesirables. If we teach about the art of most of the
artists I mentioned in a previous response in this recent discussion, we
will certainly be teaching about artists' passionate artifacts about
violence in America directed at women and people of color. I think we
should teach about those artists and these issues.

What I don't want to do is to teach students that all art is nice art and
that all people are good people and that all cultural differences are good
differences. I do want to promote ethical neutrality or ethical relativism
or an ethical skepticism that leaves us accepting rape of children as a
morally justifiable action. What the Serbs did to the Moslem woman is
wrong. As an educator, I am not going to impose my beliefs on my students,
(or the world), but I am going to encourage my students to have beliefs of
their own, and to examine them. Art is one of the most value laden
subjects in the curriculum and we need to address the values of the
artifacts we teach about, otherwise we've rendered them mute and
meaningless.

Thank you for sharing your disagreements, and for doing it so politely.

Respectfully,
Terry

Terry Barrett
Professor, Art Education