Re: Pepsi Cola and multiculturalism

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Teresa Tipton (ttipton.wa.us)
Fri, 14 Feb 1997 14:01:37 -0800 (PST)

Respond to this message.

I can remember driving down the road and hearing the NPR interview with a
Moslem woman who had been raped over 600 times by a Serbian soldier, who
had once been her neighbor, the act done in front of her husband and sons
as a way to destroy the family. I had to pull over because I was
physically ill from the information and thought I was going to pass out.

However I feel about rape is really beside the point. You can share your
opinions with me and I can discuss them but to somehow link our own moral
belief systems to viewing and discussing art (ifacts). You make the
mistake of projecting your morality onto me as an absolute which is either
right or wrong.It really doesn't matter what I believe about rape.

I believe such dicotomies are inherently contentious and
do not facilitate understanding or empathy with other people's
differences. Regardless of how I feel about rape as a cultural phenomenon
from a segment of Ghanian culture, I can still present Ghanian artifacts
and create art from their concepts.

American culture is the most violent on earth. Our rape and murder
statistics fly off the chart compared with other countries. Do we stop
discussing Any Warhol because he was an American? The Romans
institutionalized domination and were violent, repressive, and male
dominated. Do we stop talking about the Coliseum as a piece of
architecture because it was used as an entertainment arena for murdering
social and political undesirables?

You can share your concerns with us but they cross the line when your are
trying to draw some conclusions about cultural practices as a barrier to
teaching about art from many cultures.

Regards,
Teresa

Respond to this message.