Childrens Artwork/Tolerance Institute

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
vpauly
Fri, 14 Feb 1997 09:16:46 -0600

Respond to this message.

--------------455B54B695C

Thanks Carla. Actually, we like to think of ourselves as THE source
of educational materials on teaching tolerance (the Teaching Tolerance
Project at the Southern Poverty Law Center). But finding really
original, exciting childrens artwork to publish is quite a task. I
would estimate that out of 100 submissions I receive there are four or
five that are really good. Maybe I have just been looking at too much
artwork by kids! No really, we just have a lot of criteria that has to
be met to publish the artwork. The ADL doesnıt have any resources on
childrens art, unfortunately. Iıll try the Museum of Tolerance in LA
as you suggested. Thanks!

By the way, for all you educators out there, Teaching Tolerance and
the Center for Multicultural Education at the University of Washington
(Seattle) are sponsoring a three-week professional development
institute for K-12 teachers July 13 through August 1st, 1997. It will
be located in Seattle at the university. Each attendee will receive a
$1,000 stipend and six hours of academic credit from the university.
To be selected you have to meet certain criteria, so if you are
interested fax a message to Teaching Tolerance at (334) 264-3121 and
request information on the Teaching Tolerance institute. It will be
mailed to you. Applications must be postmarked by March 15 so send in
your request for an application immediately.

Paul F. Newman
Design Director