Re:culture

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Rosa Juliusdottir (rojul)
Thu, 13 Feb 1997 09:17:04 GMT

Respond to this message.

Diane, you wrote:
>One way to build may be not comparing art work to other art work, per se,
>but valuing each work of art for its own merit and what it provides us as
>humans. In this sense we build from our rich common yet human experience.
>Perhaps the role of art education is not to make judgements about one work
>being better than another, but to play a role in helping others understand
>the context of the work of art and to understand the purposes and reasons
>it exists in the form that it exists.
I would just like to say how much I agree, but also that I really hope no
art teachers <make judgements about one work being better than another>.
And I do indeed hope we all learn from this discussion to respect the
cultures of other people (indiginous and non indiginous) and teach about
their art and culture with respect and not ignoring the cultural context.
Rosa

Respond to this message.