From: owner-artsednet on behalf of John R. Tate
Sent: Thursday, February 06, 1997 10:02 PM
To: Lisa; All
Subject: Re: rainsticks

>Does anyone have directions on how to make a rainstick?
>T.I.A.
>-Lisa Schaa
>stratk_6

Yes! We did them last summer in our summer enrichment program.
For each one you need:
a) One mailing tube from an office supply store. The small ones sound the
best and are cheaper.
b) About forty to fifty small craft sticks.
c) About a cup of mixed dry beans.
d) Tempera Paint to decorate. Beans too!
Hardest part...in order for these to really work, you should cut the
holes for the popsicle sticks in sort of a spiral staicase going from
about an inch below the top to an inch above the bottom. This creates the
rain sound when the beans move up or down. We separated the sticks by
about this much...
____

____

____ Of course you have to cut the holes fairly straight
and opposite each other on both sides of the tubes. I found that if I
made the marks where to cut, my students from about tird grade and up had
no problem making the holes with sharp pointed scissors.
The little ones had trouble piercing the tube.
Good luck. Questions? Get back to me.

R. Tate
Brien McMahon High School
Norwalk, CT.