Re: installation art and education

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Cassandra Broadus-Garcia (BroadusC)
Tue, 11 Feb 1997 11:52:13 -0800 (PST)

Respond to this message.

You must contact the Wexner Center for the Arts at The Ohio State
University! Their museum education department deals with site-specific
installations all the time, including those by artists such as Terry Allen,
Maya Lin, Hachivi Edgar Heap of Birds and other contemporary artists.
Patricia Trumps is the Museum Education coordinator and could offer you
suggestions.
Good luck.

Cassandra Broadus-Garcia, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Art
Central Connecticut State University
OSU Alumna

On 2/10/97, etr wrote:

I am a grad intern. at a museum in the Phoenix area, and I am in the
>early stages of developing educational material for an upcoming
>exhibition on the theme of installation art. I myself am just beginning
>to learn what the definition of installation art is, and similarly, the
>definitions of related terms (sculpture as installation, virtual space,
>etc..). If anyone is familiar with this genre of art, I would greatly
>appreciate any help that may be offered in understanding and defining
>it. Further, I am open to suggestions for gallery activities related to
>this type of art. For e.g., one idea I had would be to somehow give
>school age children the chance to create their own mini installations ...
>possibly in individual boxes (with the instructions to pretend they are
>artists
>and the box represents gallery space to display their installation art in).
> I am also wondering if anyone knows of current exhibitions of
>installation art (and corresponding educational material - text,
>activities) at any galleries or museums around the U.S. or Canada.
> Thanks!
> -Emily (etr)

Respond to this message.