Re: fighting

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
carla harwitt (charwitt.us)
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 16:32:49 -0800 (PST)

Respond to this message.

Thanks, Cindy. It's funny that you should mention Gilbert and Sullivan -
I used to perform it on the Upper West Side in Manhattan! Unfortunately,
although "The Mikado" is set in Japan, it is quintessentially English.
Gilbert was taking advantage of a craze for all things Japanese at the
time in Victorian England to use Japan as a "front" for England so he
could criticize Queen Victoria and her government.
--Carla in LA

On Mon, 10 Feb 1997, Cynthia Mesko wrote:

> I will have to look through my dance materials to see if I have any
> dances for Japan or China. I know that they do alot of circle dances.
> You might take a look at the Mikado Opera dances by Gilbert and Sullivan
> that might give you some ideas. Cindy
>
> On Sun, 9 Feb 1997, carla harwitt wrote:
>
> > Cindy - What a great idea - folk dancing! I'm working on a china/japan
> > unit with my 9th grade world history students right now. Do you know of
> > any appropriate dances? We're currently "in" the first millenium, Common
> > Era (AD), but I'll take related to the cultured. Thanks!
> > --Carla in LA

Respond to this message.