Re: Photography at elementary level.

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
carla harwitt (charwitt.us)
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 16:05:13 -0800 (PST)

Respond to this message.

Betty,

I teach AP Art History, so I can't help you. I just want to thank you for
the wonderful photography quote, which I will put up in my classroom.

-Carla in LA

P.S.I am a parent too: 3 kids ages 19,13, and 9. The 9-year-old has never
studied photography as part of any art lesson, to my knowledge.

On Mon, 10 Feb 1997, B. Schlueter wrote:

> Hello ArtsEd People!
> I am a photographer and a parent. I would like to in some way volunteer my
> time to the local elementary school(s) art teacher(s) and offer to help
> with a photo segment.
> I am getting ready to do my masters work in photo and have worked at the
> high school level in a photo program. I found the students there had a very
> hard time visualizing photos beyond portraiture. Perhaps exposure at an
> earlier age to this sometimes forgotten medium would be appropriate?
> Here is my question. Is fine art photography represented in any way at
> this level of schooling? My memory of elementary art says no, but I am not
> aware of the current styles.
> What are the lessons used, if any?
>
> Betty Schlueter
> Phoenix, AZ

> What makes photography a strange invention - with unforeseeable
> consequences - is that its primary raw materials are light and time.
> John Berger
>
> http://www.nyiq.net/~homeworld/betty/

Respond to this message.