Re: designing a new art room

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
kprs (kprs)
Sun, 09 Feb 1997 07:35:53 -0800

Respond to this message.

Mark Alexander wrote:

> Hello ArtsEdNet,
>
> My school's building committee is developing a plan for renovations which
> we hope will include a new art room. This is my first year pushing the cart
> here, so imagine my pleasure at being asked what I thought a good art room
> needed! Wow!
>
> This is the school's 4th attempt at passing a renovation plan. We need a
> new science lab, a music room, and an art room, as well as renovations to
> meet some fire codes. The community referendums have not passed the
> previous 3 plans, one failed by only one vote! To pass the town meeting
> vote or referendum vote, the design be modest without frills. I have lots
> of ideas, but thought I might ask for suggestions. If you were given the
> task of designing an art room in a shoe string budget, what would you think
> were the most important features?
>
> Also, I've heard about a publication which lists standards (national?) for
> designing art classrooms. Anyone know who publishes it and where I could
> find it?
>
> Any information and suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you all!
>
> Mark Alexander
> 1-8 art on the cart
> Lee H. Kellogg School
> Falls Village, CT 06031

Call your state and see if their administrative code has any size
regulations for art rooms. Do not let them give you standards for a
regular classroom, as what we do is a different "traffic" pattern than
just students in rows.

I would take phots of your present situation and make a presentation
board at the meeting. Enlarge the photos. I would also suggest that
you "manipulate" the situation so that you are at your "cramped", if you
know what I mean.

I would invite Board members, PTA members, parents of your students to a
"art day" where they joined the kids in the classroom in an art
activity, and they FELT and SAW how badly you needed the space. ( I once
had a local well known "decoy carver" come to the room and he was well
received by both kids, parents, and the public) Night classes are held
in my room, and one parent complained that there was no
airconditioning...and voila, donated airconditioners to the space)

Before you do the "begging for space" thing, you have to do the
"taxpayer schmoozing" thing. Once they have a "concrete" idea how their
kids are affected you will have a better shot at getting a bigger and
better space. If for some reason they think that this space is for you,
your ego, your comfort (well....you know the rest).

And lastly, co-op their opinions too. While our opinions will help you
in the designing, ask them either via PTA meeting or survey if they
would be able to suggest space allotments, etc.

San D

Respond to this message.