Re: holiday lessons

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Roy Liebergen (rllieber)
Sat, 08 Feb 1997 18:29:50 -0600

Respond to this message.

Gina Booth wrote:

> As to holiday lessons (i.e. pumpkins for Halloween, etc.) we need to keep
> in mind that some students are not allowed to participate in such
> lessons, even if it serves as a lesson on a related art principle.
>
> I would feel terrible if a student had to leave the classroom for our
> once a week art lesson (elem. level) when I come to their room. I have
> always made it a policy to leave the holiday lessons off for this reason.

Gina, I, too, have children who cannot make holiday art, so I don't do
very much of it. I found it very interesting this year that a child who
could not make a heart in art class was wearing a sweater that was
decorated with hearts. This same family had trouble with the Egyptian
unit we were doing and the mother asked me why we had to study Egyptian
art anyway. If I anticipate problems with a project, I always try to
call the parents and tell them what I am doing and why. I have found
the parents to be really cooperative and understanding, they often have
suggestions for little changes that would allow their children to
participate in the project, and they don't expect these changes to be
made for everyone. These parents have also been so grateful that I
would take the time to get their input. Also, every once in a while, I
find out the child is "pulling my leg". Carol

Respond to this message.