>Subject: Background of Rainsticks?
>Sent: 2/6/97 9:41 PM
>From: Mark Alexander, mamjam
>To: artsednet

Regarding your Rainsticks inquiry...
Most info I have seen places the origins in the Rainforests of Brazil.
Made with bamboo, the original sticks were used by the primitive tribal
groups of the deep forests as some kind of music device. Look under
Rainforests, Ecology, etc. for more info. If I can get the actual text we
used I'll put the info out in the next few days.

>Rainsticks sound (ha!) like a lot of fun! I'm not familiar with them,
>except for the modern ones I've seen (heard) in gift shops and toy stores.
>
>I've been following the suggestions for how to make them with great
>interest. I like the nails idea, but at what level can students easily
>drive nails into the sides of round tubes? Do you predrill the holes?
>
>I need help with how to design this project into a lesson. I wonder if any
>of you would mind sharing your knowledge of the cultural and historical
>significance of rainsticks? Do they originate in Asia, South America,
>and/or Africa? Are there any resources you might suggest? How have you
>presented these to your classes?
>
>I guess I ask a lot of questions! Thanks in advance for your responses.
>
>Mark Alexander
>
>Lee H. Kellogg School
>Falls Village, CT 06031

R. Tate