Re: selfhardening clay for young artists

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mark Alexander (Alexander)mamjam)
Thu, 6 Feb 1997 19:43:12 -0500

Respond to this message.

Dear Janet,

Sheffield Self Hardening Clay is good stuff, available by catalog at:

SHEFFIELD POTTERY, INC.
U. S. Route 7
P. O. Box 399
Shefield, MA 01257
(413) 229-7700 phone
(413) 229-0200 fax

To quote their catalog: "Our air-hardening clay is a rich dark brown color,
suitable for handmade and wheel thrown onjects. No firing is necessary,
air-drying will produce a hard, durable surface. Pieces can be decorated
with acrylic paints and may be coated with shellac for a glossy surface.
For decorative pieces only - not recommended for functional ware."

I have used it for small hand built pieces with great success. I've found
it works well with preschoolers. The moist clay has a smokey odor, but
doesn't smell when dry. The only complaint I have is that it starts to set
faster than most regular clay bodies. It's best for one-shot projects,
because its difficult to keep moist for working on another day.

Good Luck,

Mark

At 10:18 AM 2/5/97, Janet Cusack wrote:
>Can anyone reccomend a selfhardening clay for making small items, such as
>ornaments which would be safe to use with preschoolers? We have been having
>a hard time finding one that does not become brittle and result in a lot of
>breakage. It would be convenient to find one we could order through one of
>the major catalogs.
>
> Thank You!
>
> Janet C.

Respond to this message.