Re: rainsticks

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
smurthwaite (smrthwt)
Thu, 06 Feb 1997 18:32:16 -0500

Respond to this message.

stratk_6 wrote:

> Does anyone have directions on how to make a rainstick?
> T.I.A.
> -Lisa Schaa
> stratk_6

There are many ways to make a rain stick. The last one I made at the
NEAEA Conf. with with a firm tube, we nailed about 60 nails into the
tube from all directions. We glued Kraft paper circles onto one side
and poored fish tank gravel into the tube. We glued a Kraft paper
circle onto the other end. We then paper mache'd brown Kraft paper (or
torn paper bags) all over the tube. We then cut black paper designs and
put them all over the wet paper mache'd tube. It turned out great. I
did it with 4th graders last summer at camp.

Also I saw the girl scouts making them by spiraling wadded up tinfoil
into a paper towel tube and decorating them. I plan on making them like
this with first graders this year since they study Africa.

Question: Are rain sticks from South American and Africa? Seems I've
seen real ones from both continents.

Good luck.

Kelly in CT

Respond to this message.