Re: Re[2]: CELEBRATING PLURALISM & Storyteller doll DIRECTIONS

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Graeme Chalmers (gfchalm)
Thu, 6 Feb 1997 10:26:17 -0800 (PST)

Respond to this message.

Carole:

You cite an interesting example where nothing is trivialized. The
apprentice is committed to understanding more than technique. Any
suggestions as to how this can happen in public school classrooms?

Graeme

At 03:02 PM 2/6/97 EST, Carole Osman wrote:
> If the question IS "are there times when appropriation might be o.k.?"
> Then I would have to say that it is my experience that tells me,"yes"
> In my study of Korean brush painting I copied a form. The form was
> standardized and when I mastered the form I made it my own. When I
> visited a Korean National Living Treasure temple painter, whose
> specialty is Buddhist religious deities, I had the good fortune to
> meet his American apprentice. The apprentice told me that he had to
> make 1,000 brush and ink drawings of each of the prescribed deities
> before he could begin to work on his own. That is; before he was
> considered able to make them his own. Is this appropriation unique to
> Asian art?

Graeme Chalmers
Graduate Adviser
Department of Curriculum Studies