Re: Fighting over philosophy?

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
carla harwitt (charwitt.us)
Wed, 5 Feb 1997 22:08:52 -0800 (PST)

Respond to this message.

Hi, just an appeal for respecting everyone's opinions while we differ over
various issues on the network. Could I suggest that words like "stupid,"
"babbling" and other pejoratives, even when presented in a light-hearted
manner, can be unnecessarily inflammatory?
--Carla in LA

On Wed, 5 Feb 1997, Jim Foerch wrote:

> Fighting over philosophy when American children are dying on the vine? I
> >> suggest those teachers need to become child centered in all their
> >> discussions and adopt strictly pragmatic criteria for decision making. If
> >> something helps children become smarter, do it. If it doesn't help kids
> >> grow and learn, dump it. Constructivism, interdisciplinary curricula,
> >> multiple intelligence, cooperative learning, social skills programming, ...
> >> all may have a place but to waste time arguing them instead of seeing what
> >> works with your students is malpractice.
> >> In our district and in our school we just started talking learning,
> >> learning and learning, focussing on the kids. Eventually the "philosophers"
> >> either got the message or took the early retirement option. Recalling the
> >> '92 Pres. campaign, "It's the kids, Stupid!"
> Jim Foerch
> Banjo, math & science teacher at
> Pine Street Creative Arts Academy
> 1138 Pine NW
> Grand Rapids, Michigan 49504
> alrai
> or
> Lexsch

Respond to this message.

  • Reply: Christine Beth Johnson: "LEARNING and research"