State of Union Address Highlights Ed

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Beth Kanter (kanter)
Wed, 05 Feb 1997 19:30:08 -0500

Respond to this message.

Thought this might be of interest to everyone on this list!

Beth Kanter
Arts Wire Network Coordinator
http://www.artswire.org

Date: Wed, 05 Feb 1997 16:01:04 -0500
From: Bob Morrison <pp002343>
To: AMC Mail List <music-news@amc-music.com>
Subject: AMC Music News: President's Address
Sender: owner-music-news

State of The Union Address Highlights Education

In a very different State of The Union Address from a year ago (where
only a paragraph discussed education and one sentence discussed
Standards) President Clinton launched his number one priority for his
second term: education. This call to action should lend new momentum to
those involved with the implementation of the National Standards for
Arts Education. In addition, the President unveiled a White House
Conference on Early Learning the Brain (a topic which the music
community has been particularly active with over the past few years) and
a challenge to America's arts community. The following excerpts are
provided for your benefit:

Number 1 Priority:

"Now, looking ahead, the greatest step of all -- the high threshold of
the
future we now must cross -- and my number one priority for the next four
years is to ensure that all Americans have the best education in the
world."

Call for National Standards:

"First, a national crusade for education standards -- not federal
government
standards, but national standards, representing what all our students
must
know to succeed in the knowledge economy of the 21st century. Every
state
and school must shape the curriculum to reflect these standards, and
train
teachers to lift students up to them.

Tonight, I issue a challenge to the nation: Every state should adopt
high
national standards."

Early Learning and the Brain:

"This leads to the fourth principle: Learning begins in the first days
of
life. Scientists are now discovering how young children develop
emotionally
and intellectually from their very first days, and how important it is
for
parents to begin immediately talking, singing, even reading to their
infants. The First Lady has spent years writing about this issue,
studying
it. And she and I are going to convene a White House Conference on Early
Learning and the Brain this spring, to explore how parents and educators
can
best use these startling new findings."

A Bipartisan Effort:

"We must understand the significance of this endeavor: One of the
greatest
sources of our strength throughout the Cold War was a bipartisan foreign
policy; because our future was at stake, politics stopped at the water's
edge. Now I ask you -- and I ask all our nation's governors; I ask
parents,
teachers, and citizens all across America -- for a new nonpartisan
commitment to education -- because education is a critical national
security
issue for our future, and politics must stop at the schoolhouse door."

A Call to the Arts and Humanities:

"I'd like to make just one last point about our national community. Our
economy is measured in numbers and statistics, and it's very important.
But
the enduring worth of our nation lies in our shared values and our
soaring
spirit. So instead of cutting back on our modest efforts to support the
arts
and humanities, I believe we should stand by them and challenge our
artists,
musicians, and writers -- (applause) -- challenge our museums, libraries
and
theaters -- (applause) -- we should -- we should challenge all Americans
in
the arts and humanities to join with our fellow citizens to make the
year
2000 a national celebration of the American spirit in every community --
celebration of our common culture in the century that has passed, and in
the
new one to come in a new millennium, so that we can remain the world's
beacon not only of liberty, but of creativity, long after the fireworks
have
faded."

This address should provide all of us who are concerned about music and
arts education, as well as the full artistic community a new focal point
for all of our efforts

The complete text is available at: http://www.whitehouse.gov

--
Bob Morrison
American Music Conference

"Dedicated to the promotion of music, music making and music education to the general public for half a century"

At 04:05 PM 2/4/97 -0500, KJA4465 wrote: >ACKNOWLEDGEMENT > >The author wishes to express sincere appreciation to the following for their >guidance to curriculum resources related to Artists and Social Issues: > >Ryan J Kelsey and Miyuki Shimazu, a book on social issues called >"Contemporary Art and Multicultural Education," edited by Susan Cahan and >Zoya Kocur; >published by The New Museum of Contemporary Art (1996) >ISBN: 0-415-91189-3 > >Christine Beth Johnson, a reference to a univeristy art course at Michigan >Tech University. > >Gretta Berghammer, reference to the book above and works of >Auguosto Boal and Fraire. > >Karen Hamblen , a high school curriculum with art activities written by >Amnesty International titled THE UPROOTED REFUGEES IN THE UNITED STATES. > They also wrote a curriculum for grades K-6 titled HUMAN RIGHTS FOR >CHILDREN. These can be obtained from Hunter House Publishers, (510) 865-5282 >or (800) >266-5592. > >Graeme Chalmers, (the other Amnesty International reference that Karen >Hamblen cited) Amnesty International (1991) Free Expression: The Amnesty >International Art Education Pack. London: Amnesty International, British >Section. Another British source: >Oxfam (1990) >Art and Development Education Materials: Art Against Apartheid and >Antriracism and Art in Britain and South Africa. >Oxford, UK: Oxfam Education & Publications. > >Also, please note Teresa Tipton's posting on 3 Feb 1997 >Subject: Artists and Social Issues. > >Moreover, thanks to ArtsEdNet for their valuable public service. Apologies >to any of our arts colleagues who were overlooked. Please note my E-mail >address change to kenneth.anderson > > Beth Kanter Arts Wire Network Coordinator kanter <http://www.artswire.org/Artswire/spiderschool/spider.htm>

Respond to this message.