Re: CELEBRATING PLURALISM & Storyteller doll DIRECTIONS

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Nancy Walkup (walkup)
Wed, 5 Feb 1997 16:03:39 CST6CDT

Respond to this message.

> Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 10:37:18 -0800 (PST)
> To: DEvans2343, ARTSEDNET
> From: gfchalm (Graeme Chalmers)
> Subject: Re: CELEBRATING PLURALISM & Storyteller doll DIRECTIONS
> Cc: NSanit, dyorke, ama

> Linda, I believe that your heart's in the right place and you probably do
> want to expose students to the art forms of a variety of cultures, but I
> wonder if others share my concerns about the recipe for making storyteller
> dolls?
>
> Have issues of cultural appropriation and ownership been addressed? Is it
> trivializing the art of the "other" to focus on technique and wish that
> students have a "happy modeling experience?"
>
> Having said this, and probably having made myself quite unpopular, I think
> that there are some ways to contextualize and rescue a cross-cultural art
> activity around the theme of "storytelling." Students could look at and
> discuss art that is used to tell stories across a variety of cultures
> e.g.(Wajang puppets from Indonesia, [in fact puppets from all cultures for
> that matter], quilts, Trajan's column, and Cochiti storyteller dolls) etc.
> etc. Certainly I think that students should make art to tell stories, but I
> have some concern about decontextualizing an art form which may not belong
> to us.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Graeme
>
> Graeme Chalmers
> Graduate Adviser
> Department of Curriculum Studies
> University of British Columbia
> Vancouver, B.C.
> Canada V6T 1Z4
>
> Tel: 604 822-4842
> Fax: 604 822-9366

OK, Graeme, I've been too busy to contribute much lately, but I
want to respond to your remarks and the content of "Celebrating
Pluralism." I, too, have severe reservations about copying the form of
any cultural object. I do think objects such as storytellers and
kachinas provide opportunities for significant aesthetic and
ethical discussions, but I feel we need to respect
the traditions and intentions of the original maker by moving
towards a deeper interpretation.

What we try to do with similar objects in our institute is to investigate
thoroughly the underlying theme and then have students create
an original work based on a contemporary interpretation of the theme.

This may be an extreme example, but I sometimes ask of teachers
who want to make kachinas (usually out of toilet paper rolls)
how they would feel if they went into a class making crucifixes?
I would think Hopi people feel much the same way when they see
their kachinas copied as an art project.

I don't mean to be blameful - teachers often are not exposed to
such ideas in their training - but hopefully we can all learn to
be more sensitive to issues of culture.

Nancy

Nancy Walkup, Project Coordinator
PO Box 5098, University of North Texas