Re: integrated arts

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
carla harwitt (charwitt.us)
Tue, 4 Feb 1997 23:42:09 -0800 (PST)

Respond to this message.

Although I'm not teaching drama now, I did direct "Bye Bye Birdie" at a
middle school last year. As a history teacher, also, I love to integrate
literature, music and drama into my curriculum. For example, I use
dramatic readings of The Crucible when I teach either Amer. History or
Government, to tie into both the Salem Witchcraft period and McCarthyism.
I like to have students make up songs about topics sometimes (I can't hear
"My Girl" anymore without seeing in my mind the group of 8th graders that
performed a choreographed version of "My War" about the War of 1812.

This is my first year teaching AP Art History, and I feel very constrained
by the extensive demands of the curriculum, so I haven't used as many
interdisciplinary items (yet) as I would like. But I play appropriate
music to go with the period (today we listened to Gregorian chants as we
finished a look at Gothic Art, and briefly discussed their derivation from
the chanting of the Torah [i.e. the Old Testament] in Judaism). A math
colleague will be guest-lecturing next week about pespective in the
Renaissance. A Spanish teacher will be guest-lecturing about Islamic Art.
(We handle the guest-lecturing by trading classes that period, since we
don't have any sub coverage available for this kind of activity). Of
course, we look at literature. For example, we read some Greek myths as we
started the Greek Art unit, so the stories and people frequently depicted
would make sense. And I like to tie in poetry when I can, though it is not
my forte. Two of my favorites, to go with the Mongolian culture and
ancient Middle East monumental art, respectively, are: "In Xanadu did
Kubla Khan a stately pleasure-dome decree..."(Coleridge) and "...'I am
Ozymandias, king of kings. Look on my works, ye mightly, and despair!'
Nothing else remains..." (I'm blanking on the author at the moment, and my
poetry book is at school).

I haven't tied in dance, but we have done yoga exercises.

Hope this is somewhat helpful...

--Carla in LA

On Tue, 4 Feb 1997 Gymboy97 wrote:

> i am a creative drama teacher K-12 looking for ideas of how any of you are
> using drama to connect arts ideas...we teach in a DBAE format and are looking
> for other teacher teams or individuals who integrated these arts

Respond to this message.