Re: Digital art

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Robert Alexander Fromme (rfromme)
Tue, 04 Feb 1997 17:50:21 -0600

Respond to this message.

At 12:23 PM 2/4/97 -0500, Mcracker wrote:
>Could someone please give me a definition of "digital art"? Where would you
>go for training in this field? Thanks.

Howdy Marcia,

Digital ... described a system based on binary code of base two. This is the
world of the computer which involves the orchestration of energy through
switches which are either set "on" or "off". You can contrast the world of
the computer with traditional "analog" systems, such as, the electrical
system which powers your home, your traditional phone system etc. In that
system, real-world events can be altered and distributed in any manner of
degree (voltage, amperage, etc.).

Digital art, on the other hand, is art created or transformed into the
world of the computer. The work may come from a variety of sources, TV,
VCR, QuickTake, CamCorder, Scanner, cad Software (vector graphics) or paint
software (raster or bit mapped images).

When you take your course in digital art, you will begin to discover that
traditional forming methods may serve as the primary source for images or
forms but those traditional sources are not the only way artists develop
digital art. You will probably discover the world of fractals which are born
in mathematical iterations which may mirror many of the natural forces of
our physical environment. When you take your course, you will start to
think of an image or form as an idea stored as a code of controlled
electrical potential and not of an object. The idea in the image can take
many forms. It can be stored, projected, printed, or sent to a robot which
can reproduce the image or form in a variety of materials. It can be sent to
the other side of the earth in the blink of an eye. It can be sized,
resized, altered infinitely and eroded. With the course content, you will
also begin to think about concerns of intellectual property and copyrights
because of this new world of images and technology. You will probably come
away from your course wondering just how extensive our present and future
technology will alter the course of art history and our previous concepts of
creative property. You will feel like you are dancing on a volcano.

Bob

Respond to this message.