holiday lessons

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
David McBeth (dmcbeth)
Mon, 03 Feb 1997 15:53:29 -0600

Respond to this message.

Mark Alexander wrote:

> Keep in mind I do understand the resentment which has been expressed by
> some on this list about doing 'holiday crafts' stuff in art class. However,
> it seems to me that since the kids seem to really enjoy many holiday
> oriented projects, why not try to incorporate our art content into them?

Mark -
Exactly!
It seems to me that the key to getting kids excited about our programs
and art in general is to reach out to them and teach where they are. If
they want to paint pumkins at Halloween and hearts at Valentines then we
should be creative enough to design art lessons and activities that will
address our needs and their interests.

I am firmly convinced that DBAE is an effective way to construct art
programs and is the model I encourage my art ed majors to follow. Mark
has done a fine job of demonstrating simple and effective ways to
incorporate this into fine lessons.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
Dave

--
David McBeth, MFA
Associate Professor of Art and Art Ed

Respond to this message.

  • Reply: Christine Merriam: "Re: holiday lessons"
  • Reply: Roy Liebergen: "Re: holiday lessons"
  • Reply: Griswold, Charlotte: "Re: holiday lessons"