Re: Board Games

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Sandra Hildreth (shildret)
Mon, 3 Feb 1997 00:17:45 -0500

Respond to this message.

Duffy Franco wrote:
>I'm working with my high school students on designing board games. So far we
>have done some research (we played games!) and have done some writing on what
>we've found.

I've done several board game projects with senior high art students. I
always have a specific theme or historical period or something that they
must design a game about, and then I encourage them to model their game
after an existing game (like monopoly or trivial pursuit, etc.). Some
themes we have used were: the Gilded Age (rags to riches, oil barons,
etc.); Biology and the classification of living things system (this was for
a joint project with a science teacher who wanted games for her students to
use in labs to help them review); and the Wild West.

A big problem my students seem to have is in making up the rules - so I
insist that after they complete their board games, and rules, that they
exchange games with others and do peer evaluations by playing them. Then
they often have to revise their rules and procedures.

Hope this is helpful.

Sandra Hildreth <shildret>
C.L.A.S.S. (Cultural Literacy through Art & Social Studies)
http://www.northnet.org/hildreth
Art 7-12, Madrid-Waddington Central School, Madrid, NY 13660
Art Methods, St. Lawrence University, Canton, NY 13617

Respond to this message.