Art history texts

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Scurfield (scurfield)
Sat, 01 Feb 1997 16:25:37 -0600

Respond to this message.

carla harwitt wrote:

> You're comment on talent increasing with experience reminded me of
> something I haven't thought of in a while. In 4th grade I took art (I'm 42
> now, so this was back in the Stone Age in New York when art and music were
> standard weekly public school fare, and for the entire school year not
> just 10 weeks). We did a clay unit and our art teacher told us to make
> imaginary creature faces. I made one happy-looking one and she liked it.
> So I took a risk and made an angry one, more reflective of my inner self
> at the time. She told me it was terrible. "junk," I think she called it.
> She never explained what was terrible and I never asked, but I never again
> ventured to make a work of
> art from that day to this. I've been following the sensitive and caring
> comments of the art teachers in this group (I teach history of art) and I
> wonder how different things might have been had I had people like you as
> art teachers when I was a child. Your students are all very lucky.
> --Carla in LA
>
> On Sat, 1 Feb 1997 LoulieK wrote:
>
> > It's always interesting to speculate about the idiosyncratic habits of those
> > around us or of those we teach. I don't really like thinking in terms of
> > people as having learning disabilities (although a certain amount of
> > categorizing allows us to help people). I think that the brain is so complex
> > that we never see all of the variations in ways it can function. I like to
> > try to figure people out in their own terms rather than label their
> > differences. I realize this may be a somewhat simplistic viewpoint, but it
> > leads me to some very interesting learnings.
> >
> > As a left-handed person, I have also found it easy to do things
> > backwards and upside down, including spelling backwards as well as reading
> > upside down with ease. Some of this ability may be spatial rather than
> > left-handed, though. Left-handed people do have to learn to do most things
> > backwards (for us) anyway, as we live in a right-handed world, so we develop
> > skill through
> > experience. I also do math in a strange way which works quite well for me but
> > is not standard - more intuitive. My father and daughter seem to have similar
> > abilities in math.
> >
> > Shinichi Suzuki, the person who developed the famous Suzuki method of
> > violin playing, felt that talent increases with experience. Perhaps that
> > concept
> > explains partially why there are so many left-handed artists in the first
> > place, in addition to the left brain-right brain information. The idea that
> > talent increases with experience is another good argument for teaching
> > drawing to all children. I know I'm speaking to the choir, but we don't let
> > people stop studying math just because it's not one of their natural
> > talents.
> >

> > I love the list. Keep it coming.
> > Louise King Lanzilotti
> > Curator of Education
> [...]
teach survey courses? If so, what texts do you like? I am currently
teaching art history at a community college (humanities elective) and in
the fine arts dept. of a private university. We were using "A History
of Western Art" by Laurie Schneider Adams which I found to be well
illustrated and easy to comprehend. Now at the private university we
have switched to "Art History" by Marilyn Stokstad which I love. It is
well written and illustrated and more in-depth than the Adams book.
Plus, it has chapters on various artistic traditions from around the
world. We will finish all but two chapters of Volume 2 of Stokstad in
Art History II, so I need a book that begins with around Courbet or
Daumier through to Post-modern art for Art History III. Any
suggestions?

Thanks! Marcia Scurfield, Derby, KS

Respond to this message.

  • Reply: redhen: "Reply to Marcia Scurfield"
  • Reply: poppins: "Re: Re: student teacher supervision"