Re: student teacher supervision

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Mark Alexander (Alexander)mamjam)
Sat, 1 Feb 1997 12:59:06 -0500

Respond to this message.

Blesilla Berhtwald and other ArtsEdNet folks,

I feel that the manner in which a student teacher dresses should be up to
the student teacher, but if there are obvious problems like smoking smells
or if the student teacher isn't meeting the district's dress code, then it
is up to the master teacher to help them.

Perhaps the student teacher's supervising professor would like to be
informed when a student teacher's manner of dress is a problem. After all,
the student teacher is also a representative of the university that sent
them!

I recall that the manner of dress expected for student teachers was
discussed at the university I attended. They said the student teacher
should try to honor the district's standards. The movie "My Cousin Vinnie"
comes to mind. The student teacher should try to "BLEND" with the other
teachers!

I felt my student teaching was like an extended job interview. Therefore,
since I would avoid smoking, drinking, and sloppy dress before or during a
job interview, I would also avoid smoking, drinking, and sloppy dress
before or while doing my student teaching.

I teach 1-8 art on the cart. My district is not considered "dressy," but
the other teachers and I never wear jeans. Although I don't wear a white
shirt, my shirt is always ironed, and I always wear a tie every day. I like
to play with color and pattern, so my shirt and tie combinations are far
from conservative.

I try very hard to avoid splashes. I keep myself and my hands clean. For
messy projects I generally have an apron handy but I seldom put it on. I
confess I have aquired a few spots on my clothes, but nothing big and
obvious. I like the lab coat idea! The greatest risk has been 1st and 2nd
graders walking up behind me with wet paintings to show me. They're so
proud of their work they hate to wait at their seats with raised hands!
They're learning.

Although I know there are closet smokers on staff, I have never noticed
cigarette smells on any employees in the building. I guess they don't
smoke on the way to school, and smoking on the school grounds is illegal.

It is true that teaching art rather than math or social studies does reduce
the dress standard a little. However, I feel that professional attire is
still important, and it shouldn't be forgotten that while in school, the
art teacher is a professional teacher first, and an artist second. Of
course, student teachers and all professionals must know that if they don't
dress for success, they probably won't find much of it!

Mark Alexander
Lee H. Kellogg School
Falls Village, CT 06031

>The manner in which the student teacher dresses should reflect the
>district. Do Gym teachers dress in sweats, shorts, tee shirts???? If this
>is the case and you are using clay, plaster, ect dress for the
>occasion....but if the dress is more professional them the student teacher
>should follow. As for cigarette smoke and smell....almost all schools are
>no smoking and or should be and I'd enforce that. If the student can't
>afford new clothing...get a smock or lab coat.....white shirt and tie.
>
>On Sat, 1 Feb 1997, justasking wrote:
>
>> I'd like to pose a question.
>>
>> Is it the responsibility of the master teacher to help a student teacher
>> with regards to dress and smell (cigarettes)? (My district is very
>> dressy) I realize that the college atmosphere is very laid back and
>> casual but my school is not. My district supervisor has already made a
>> comment about comparing her as a candidate to someone dressed up and
>> smelling good. This is not a comment on ability to teach.
>>
>> What think ye?
>>
>> Blesilla Berhtwald

Respond to this message.