Re: classroom discipline

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Tina Arndt (carndt)
Tue, 27 Feb 1996 16:14:51 -0500

At 10:19 PM 2/26/96 -0500, you wrote:

>Hello All-
>
>I desperately need help with ideas for classroom discipline. I have been
>teaching three years in the same school and it is very slowly getting
>alittle better but some classes are still unbearable. I have a tiny
>room(the old coal bin)and the kids are pretty much right on top of each other.
>
>Does anybody have any tips or systems that work great for them. I would
>appreciate any help.
>
>D. Miller
>K-6 art teacher
>

> Hi Dan, I find that consistency works best but incentives can help. I
have a star system that works well for me. Classes work as a whole to earn
a star for class behavior and another one for a quiet clean up. (For clean
up I ring a cymbal three times. The first ring is for clean up directions,
the second to get ready, and the third begins the quiet clean up.) For
every ten stars the class earns something: Jolly Ranchers for 10 and 20, Art
Olympics at 30, free art at 40, and a pizza party (which students pay for)
for the first three classes that get to 50. The star chart is visible so
that everyone can see how their class is doing. I do not make a big deal
about the stars except with the classes that need that extra incentive to
work for. Through this classes have learned my expectations for behavior.
If they do not earn one of their stars we talk about why, while waiting for
the classroom teacher to pick them up. I have been using this system for
six years and each year it continues to work better. This year I have three
classes that have gotten two stars every single week!

Hope this is of some use
Tina Arndt
Whiteford Elementary
Sylvania, Ohio