Re: All Art Teachers

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Kathrine L Walker (klwalk)
Fri, 16 Feb 1996 09:46:20 -0600 (CST)

To begin with, art or material culture (remember that a great deal of
what we call art is considered the material of religious ritual in other
cultures) is the product of human activity determined by the habits
(culture) acquired by man as a member of society. The study of these
objects can explain why things were made, the forms things took and what
need they served within a society (social, functional, symbolic, aesthetic)

In looking at what art does for a culture, you have to start with the
purpose it was created for (social, functional, symbolic, aesthetic).
For example, early in a culture, objects used in ritual were designed to
make a belief concrete (i.e. African masks to make the rituals
surrounding ancestor worship material)
Masks are a type of object that works well for looking at this topic -
they are used in such a large number of societies. If you send me a
snail mail address, I would be happy to share some materials from a
multicultural curriculum that has been used with middle and high school
students.
Kathrine Walker, Beach Museum of Art