Re: art curriculums

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Nancy Walkup (walkup)
Wed, 14 Feb 1996 14:30:54 CST6CDT

Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 22:17:26 -0500
To: artsednet
From: todd36 (Kristin Todd)
Subject: art curriculums

I have recently read that there are two very different attitudes
toward having set curriculums in art. Many people expressed the opinion
that they felt that a specific syllabus would take away there freedom to
develop a curriculum geared toward individual groups and would hinder
learning in some way, others felt that having a set of guidelines would
help define specific subjects that certain grade levels would cover, this
would then make it easier to assess what level each age group should be at
and what subject matter they are or are not ready for. I'd like to here
how all of you feel about this.

Kristin Todd
SUNY Potsdam, Potsdam NY

Kristin:

NAEA has a poster available for sale that is useful in
planning scope and sequence in curriculum development. It's
called "Basic Art Skills Poster: A Curriculum Framework" and its
a 23" x 40" red and blue poster listing what students should
know and be able to do in the art program.

The poster is organized at four levels, K-2, 3-5, 6-8, and 9-12 for easy
reference to program, instruction, and curriculum development.
Each level also includes four content areas: aesthetic
perception, creative expression, visual art heritage, and
aesthetic valuing.

NAEA member price is $10.00 (include membership number);
nonmember price is $15.00; shipping and handling is $2.50 for orders up
to $10.00, $3.50 for up to $20.00. Write NAEA at 1916 Association
Drive, Reston, VA 22091-1590 or call (800) 299-8321. They also
have a catalog of publications that may include other items that
would be useful for you.

Nancy

Nancy Walkup, Project Coordinator
PO Box 5098, University of North Texas 76203
817/565-3986 FAX 817/565-4867
Walkup