RE: Re: GPA

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Gina Booth (ginab.ar.us)
Mon, 12 Feb 1996 19:58:29 -0600 (CST)

I too think it important to emphasize the part at the end of your
comments on networking and having contacts. Also, to add in what my
college art teacher told me which is "to create your own job".

My job I got was a result of teaching summer kids art classes at the
local community college. By the time I paid a babysitter for my two small
kids, traveled, and worked the few hours, I had zero profit. But what was
better was that I had a letter of recommendation from the president of
the college and one of the mothers (an influential one) went to "BAT"
for me with a local school and they created a job for me. It started with
me going to three schools a day and now they use two full time teachers
to do the job I once did (see, they liked having art and expanded the
program. Plus, a good- deserving- friend of mine got the job!) and now I
am at one of the schools full time. They never looked at my
portfolio as they
had never had an art teacher and had no idea what was even important!