Re: Introduction and question

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
JAMES H. SANDERS (jhsander)
Sun, 11 Feb 1996 20:20:18 -0500 (EST)

A few thoughts on your request...

On Fri, 9 Feb 1996, Jane Allen Sec.5 wrote:

> Hi! I am Jane B. Allen, a studemt at Southwest Texas State University in San
> Marcos, Texas. My major is Fine Arts/All-level Certification. I have just
> subscribed to artsednet this very day and I am anxious to hear from anyone who
> would like to share information with me. In particular I would like to know
> why you do or do not think it is important for art education
> teachers to introduce the influences of past artists.
> We are a part of a creative continuum, and awareness and exposure to
the work of artists (not merely their personal influence) is essential
in the transmission of aestetic, technical and culturally embedded
notions of that history. I find history informs studio practice in ways
that simple modelling can't replace. The more difficult problematic is
who you will present as "influential artists" from what cultures and
critical voices will you draw on, and how will they collectively help
reveal your values and those of a just and equitable practice in an
increasingly culturally diverse classroom setting. (I maintain that even
if all of your students were of one race or cultural/class group, you
still have a moral and ethical obligation to address diversity and
seriously ask yourself what it means to include, or exclude a given
artist, media, political position, style, issue or subject.) As an
educator you will be representing many voices - and this should always be
approached with great care and thoughtfulness. It is sad to see so many
racist presentations of "quality" art which sees the history of creative
products through an exclusively Eurocentric lens. I trust you will be
developing a more compassionate and inclusive practice in your important
work.

> I will be researching this question for several weeks and writting a
paper. I > value your input and opinions. > > Thanking you in advance, I
am, > > Jane B. Allen

Best of luck on your paper.