Note: To protect the privacy of our members, e-mail addresses have been removed from the archived messages. As a result, some links may be broken.
Learning how to think like an artist means learning how to:
* reframe problems and ideas in order to generate new perspectives.
* find relationships between different ideas and events.
* find beauty in everyday things and situations.
* arrange things in different and interesting ways.
* go beyond the obvious and avoid habitual thinking.
* work hard and at the edge of your potential.
* take conceptual risks and expose yourself to possible failure.
* persist where others may give up.
* dream and fantasize.
* rely on yourself rather than others to judge the worth of your ideas and work.
* suspend judgement so that all possibilities might be considered.
* do something simply because it's interesting and personally challenging to do.
* drop unproductive ideas and temporarily set aside stubborn problems.
* concentrate your effort and attention for long periods of time.
I'm sure that that there are other thinking skills and dispositions
involved in the act of artistic creation. But, these seem to cover much of
University of Florida
~ Art is one of the few things left worth doing ~