Re: GPA for Art Teachers

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
J. Stephen Lahr (jslahr.edu)
Thu, 8 Feb 1996 08:55:15 -0500 (EST)

Dear Sally, Given the competitive nature of the job market for visual
arts teachers with all other things being equal, I'd say that GPA is a
very important consideration. Excellent recommendations,
successful pre-service teaching experiences, and outside activities of a
professional art or education nature are also very important.
Unfortunately, most personnel directors, principles, superintendents, or
school board members do not have a clue about what makes a good art
educaiton professional. It has been my experience that they judgments
about teaching potential are often based on easy to understand but
non-predictive data such as GPA. I say non-predictive since few if any
substantial studies have been done where linkage between GPA and
success on the job (I include education and most other fields) has been
proven to be either positive or negative. I speak from 25 years of
experience with public education in three states and nationally as a
classroom art teacher, an arts administrator, and college professor.
This topic would make a good study for someone in graduate school. J.
Stephen Lahr, Professor of Art, Valdosta State University, Valdosta, GA
31698, (912) 333-5835, jslahr.edu.