Re: Skoglund on ArtsEdNet-Reply (Criticism)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
henry (taylorh)
Sat, 03 Feb 1996 07:11:02 -0700 (MST)

Criticism, interpretation, and judgement are all related and rely on
aesthetic distinction the ability to distinguish empirical sensual
qualities of difference. It seems to me that, in the arts, criticism
represents such an act of distinction. The distinction demands (I think)
an explanation or interpretation which appears to be largely theoretical;
perhaps less so for the "how" than for the "why" or the "meaning".
Finally, with this information and theory assembled we can (maybe) begin
to seek the value of what we have distinguished -- to evaluate or judge
that value in terms of a context (usually, and perhaps most accurately, our
own)

-henry