Re: Skoglund on ArtsEdNet

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Helen Diemert (hdiemert)
Thu, 1 Feb 1996 08:33:39 -0700 (MST)

To Nancy,
your question relating to the CRICITISM component in DBAE prompts
this reply. I have had trouble from the beginning of DBAE with the
emphases in that curriculum. In it, 3 of the components art quite
verbally enacted and only one involves image making (skill building in
the pictorial mode of communication). Here in Alberta, our elementary
school art curriculum is opposite. It is composed of 1) DEPICTION, 2)
COMPOSITION, 3) EXPRESSION, and 4) APPRECIATION. In the appreciation
component, we urge children to become familiar with art, i.e. to study
its origin (who made it, when, with what media, from what influences,
with what subject matter, etc.) and to enjoy it. That is quite different
from trying to CRITICISE it.
We believe that young students should have the opportunity to
build their skills in the graphic or visual mode of thinking just as they
do in the verbal mode through their language studies, or in the numerical
mode through arithmetic or in the gestural mode through movement, drama,
dance, etc. and through the auditory mode through music. There are only
these 5 basic ways to objectify thought or mind. If the art does not
focus on working actively in visual symbolics, then how can the learners
really appreciate or criticize adult expressions? Is this a problem? I
hope for a stimulating discussion on the nature of a good "Art" education
program.