Re: Internet virus alert (fwd)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Lisa Levenson (lisal)
Thu, 1 Feb 1996 07:28:32 -0700 (MST)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 1996 19:27:04 -0800
From: Al <ALLEVEN>
To: Lew Levenson <Lew_Levenson>
Cc: Elaine Levine <75543.3014>,
Andrew1221 <Andrew1221>, Buzz <Buzz.me.us>,
Chip <76427.2324>, XVDH78A <XVDH78A>,
Lisa Levenson <lisal>,
MLEVIN41 <MLEVIN41.EDU>, Al <ALLEVEN>,
Christopher <dolphins>, cmchace <cmchace>
Subject: Re: Internet virus alert

Lew wrote:

...............sniperino.............

> WARNING!!!!!!! INTERNET VIRUS
.............sniperino.....................

Actually, it *is* a joke!!

It circulated through theCancer-L listserv and got a lot of comment.
Apparently it comes and goes and has been doing so for over a year.

The fact is that viruses can only reside in *programs* -- where it can
enter your operating system, replicate itself grab resources and reach out
to other programs and computers.

Email is not an operating program. It is merely screen bits being addressed
as the output of your mail server. Email *can* contain a program.
However, you must actually load it on your computer before anything nasty
can happen.

So, relax, at least as far as your email goes.

And thanks for the warning.

AL