Internet virus alert (fwd)

[ Thread ][ Subject ][ Author ][ Date ]
Lisa Levenson (lisal)
Thu, 1 Feb 1996 07:26:51 -0700 (MST)

Please be aware:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 31 Jan 96 14:40:46
From: Lew Levenson <Lew_Levenson>
To: Elaine Levine <75543.3014>,
Andrew1221 <Andrew1221>, Buzz <Buzz.me.us>,
Chip <76427.2324>, XVDH78A <XVDH78A>,
Lisa Levenson <lisal>,
MLEVIN41 <MLEVIN41.EDU>, Al <ALLEVEN>,
Christopher <dolphins>, cmchace <cmchace>
Subject: Internet virus alert

FYI, I just picked this up from the Seagate net..

THIS IS NOT A JOKE, PLEASE READ AND FORWARD.
(I didn't think so when I first got it, hence the late date forwarding this to
you!)

SUBJECT: VIRUSES--IMPORTANT PLEASE READ IMMEDIATELY

There is a computer virus that is being sent across the Internet. If you
receive an e-mail message with the subject line "Good Times", DO NOT read
the message, DELETE it immediately. Please read the messages below. Some
miscreant is sending e-mail under the title "Good Times" nation wide, if you
get anything like this, DON'T DOWN LOAD THE FILE! It has a virus that
rewrites your hard drive, obliterating anything on it. Please be careful
and forward this mail to anyone you care about.

WARNING!!!!!!! INTERNET VIRUS

The FCC released a warning last Wednesday concerning a matter of
major importance to any regular user of the Internet. Apparently
a new computer virus has been engineered by a user of AMERICA ON LINE
that is unparalleled in its destructive capability. Other more well-known
viruses such as "Stoned", "Airwolf" and "Michaelangelo" pale in
comparison to the prospects of this newest creation by a warped
mentality. What makes this virus so terrifying, said the FCC, is the fact
that no program needs to be exchanged for a new computer to be infected. It
can be spread through the existing e-mail systems of the Internet. Once a
computer is infected, one of several things can happen. If the
computer contains a hard drive, that will most likely be destroyed. If
the program is not stopped, the computer's processor will be placed in an
nth-complexity infinite binary loop -which can severely damage the processor
if left running that way too long.

Unfortunately, most novice computer users will not realize what
is happening until it is far too late. Luckily, there is one sure means of
detecting what is now known as the "Good Times" virus. It always travels to
new computers the same way in a text email message with the subject
line reading "Good Times". Avoiding infection is easy once the file has
been received- not reading it! The act of loading the file into the mail
server's ASCII buffer causes the "Good Times" mainline program to initialize
and execute.

The program is highly intelligent- it will send copies of itself to
everyone whose e-mail address is contained in a receive-mail file or a
sent-mail file, if it can find one. It will then proceed to trash the computer
it is running on. The bottom line here is - if you receive a file with the
subject line "Good Times", delete it immediately! Do not read it" Rest
assured that whoever's name was on the "From" line was surely struck by
the virus. Warn your friends and local system users of this newest
threat to the Internet! It could save them a lot of time and money.